"DHCP Client" service fails to start on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise - Event ID 7023 logged
Unable to start the "DHCP client" service on a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (SP2) machine.Have verified the log-on account being used is "NETWORK SERVICE" and other services with the same credentials start OK.Have added "NETWORK SERVICE" account with Full Control permissions in the registry for the following two keys:- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TcpipThis did not resolve the problem, though the machine has not been restarted since the registry changes were made.As far as I am aware there have been no changes made to this machine to cause this problem.
September 9th, 2009 12:48pm

Reboot the machine and check it the problem presist.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2009 4:48pm

Hello, Thanks for your post here. From the description, the DHCP client service fails to start with the Event 7023 "DHCP client service terminated with the following error: Access is denied". Am I right? Yes, first of all reboot the server to check whether it works. If the issue persists, you may have the test to check how it works if you give both the Local Service and Network services FULL CONTROLL at the root of HKLM in the registry and propagate it all the way down. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
September 10th, 2009 1:21pm

Waiting on the reboot as we need an outage on our system which has to be arranged with the customer. Deva - already done what you recommend, it's in the initial post above but thanks anyway. Jon
September 10th, 2009 4:09pm

Hi JonDid not read properly .. Please review this Article . hopeit may be helpshttp://forums.techarena.in/windows-server-help/1190364.htmhttp://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/microsoft.public.windows.server.security/2004-10/0223.htmlDeva Don't do what others say - listen to them, but do what you feel good doing.
September 10th, 2009 4:46pm

Unable to do anything until at least Tuesday evening due to a change freeze. Will update once there is any progress.Jonathan
September 11th, 2009 1:25pm

Reboot seems to have resolved the issue so the registry chnages must have taken effect after the machine was restarted. Thanks for you help guys!Jonathan
September 16th, 2009 11:29am

I had same problem. Some servers works without problems on few I was unable to start DHCP client service. Access Denied error.I set permission on following key for NETWORK SERVICE account to FULL ALLOW[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp\Parameters]Problem is solved. And aging and scavenging can clear my DNS servers again.Regards.
November 26th, 2009 2:29pm

Managed to get this working by doing what I did originally:- Added "NETWORK SERVICE" account with Full Control permissions in the registry for the following two keys:- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip BUT - also had to go into Advanced in Security and chose the option "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" After a reboot the problem was resolved.
November 26th, 2009 2:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics